Monday, October 8, 2012

Lauryn's Quiet Books

Today's quiet books come to us from Lauryn of The Heaton's. She made three of them, and there's something really cool about them (even beyond how cute they are). I almost want to ask you, "Guess what's unique about Lauryn's books?" It's a bit hard to spot, but you can tell if you look closely.

Have a guess?

The answer: She didn't sew them together! Her sewing machine wasn't working, and she even only hand-sewed the flowers. So what did she use instead? A glue gun! This is such a great idea for those without sewing machines, or who don't want to hand sew, or just want an easier or quicker way to make a quiet book! So take a look at Lauryn's three fabulous no-sew quiet books!



Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Lauryn and I'm a stay at home mom with three kids and another on the way.  

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I am a very novice sewer and unfortunately my sewing machine was not working at the time, but I knew at least my 1 and 3 year old would enjoy these. I was putting together bags for church to try and help keep my kids quiet.  I was also tired of lugging around a huge diaper bag with everyone's snack and activities.

What's your level of sewing experience?
As I said, I am a very novice sewer and my sewing machine was not working at the time. Since I did not have my sewing machine I used a glue gun.

How long did it take you?
With my husband out of town I stayed up Friday night and started working on the quiet books.  I spent about four hours that night and then continued on and off Saturday until I completed them.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I was inspired to make these three quiet books after seeing them on Pinterest at Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows: Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows: Mr. Potato Head

What material are the pages made out of, and how did you bind your quiet book?
I used two pieces of felt for each book and glued the edges together after cutting out and assembling each page. I even did the pockets on each page like in the tuturial. The only thing I hand sewed were the buttons for the flowers since I new they would get a lot of pulling and did not want them to pull off.

What other materials did you use?
I had some googly eyes and yarn from past projects as well as ribbon for the lion that I was able to use, otherwise everything was cut out and glued with felt.

How much did all your supplies cost you?
The only thing I had to buy was the felt which I got at Walmart.  I just got the package of different colors for around $2.  

What's your favorite page? Why?
My kids favorite page is definitely the barn page. My 1-year-old loves to pull the animals in and out of the barn while my 3-year-old likes to put the animals on his fingers and eat everyone.  My 5-year-old even enjoys playing with the car page since I put in a micromachine car and truck.  

You can find more about Lauryn's quiet books (with more details) here.  Thank you, Lauryn, for sharing your very cute and creative quiet books with us!


Have you got a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment